Information Technology Service Management Systems ITSMS – ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011
Formalising the processes for IT service delivery, IT service operations and the continual improvement of ISO 9001 and ISO 20000 certification
Overview of Scheme:
Information Technology Service Management Systems – ITSMS certification scheme is based on the ISO 20000:2011 standard. The scheme is aimed at improving IT service management and describes an integrated set of management processes for the effective delivery of services to the business and its customers.
IT is a business enabler, defined service levels, quality of IT services, customer focus are some of the key differentiators in IT.
For a Chief Information Officer, there are senior management directives to reduce IT costs while users keep demanding new services and continual improvement in existing IT services.
Information Technology Service Management Systems – ISO 20000 provides a pathway toward achieving these goals.
ITSMS Further Explained
- ITIL is defined as: Information Technology Infrastructure Library
- ITSM is defined as: IT Service Management, a subset of ITIL
- ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 focuses on IT Service Management and is based in ITIL v2
There are 5 processes for Service Delivery, 5 for Service Operations and Qualify Improvement processes similar to ISO 9001:2008
The Value Of ITSMS
IT is a business enabler. Defined service levels, quality of IT services, customer focus are some of the key differentiators in IT. ISO 20000 provides a pathway toward achieving these goals. For a Chief Information Officer, there are senior management directives to reduce IT costs while users keep demanding new services and continual improvement in existing IT services.
- ISO 20000 is a set of 173 controls broadly from three main areas – Five (5) IT Service Delivery processes and Five (5) IT Service Support processes from ITIL v2 and Continual Improvement processes from ISO 9001. Therefore, in a way ISO 20000 is customisation of ISO 9001 to IT Service Management.
- Although ITIL v2 has been revised to ITIL v3, the 2005 version of ISO 20000 has not yet been revised. ITIL and ISO 20000 are complementary to each other.
- ISO 20000 certification helps to improve the image of IT Department and IT Service Provider organisations. It is a good way to kick-start the adoption of ITIL Best Practices. For small third party IT service providers, a few of their clients even demand ISO 20000 certification as a precondition to awarding contracts.
ISC Global’s Key Principles of Information Security Management Systems
- Governence of Key Processes
- Design of news services
- Service Continuity / Availability
- Release and Deployment
- Capability Management
- Management of Business Relationships
- Configuration Management